4.17.2011

Her

Draped across her lap as she studied. Things had been difficult lately, and we both questioned the benefits to staying together. But right there, in that spot, head on her shoulder, everything seemed perfect.  Drifting into sleepiness as she did her problem set.  Later, head on her chest, listening to the lub-dub of her heart; two crisp, distinct sounds through her chest wall.  I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else but there.

She had wanted to walk away. To spare me. To let me be happy. I wanted her, everything we need to deal with is worth it. We’re both smart people who care deeply for each other and each other’s happiness.

We had a lazy conversation about kids and heated garages and married life.  It didn’t scare me one bit. I guess that scares me a little.  Easy, naked laughter, and a desire to hold on to the moments she’s in my arms.  Poking fun at each other, and just listening to that lub-dub.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatchu wanna say?